Under the general direction of the Chief Operations Officer, manages the corporate production support resources to maximize construction efficiency and corporate profitability. Controls and reduces direct construction costs, participates in new home design meetings, and recruits and maintains reliable trade partners and suppliers. Requires computer proficiency in Excel and Word and the aptitude to learn and use the specific back office software system employed by Goodall Homes and Communities (Timberline Estimating, Builder MT, and Sales Simplicity). Supervises Purchasing, Estimating, and Design personnel.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Lead, manage, motivate, and hold accountable team members within the Purchasing, Estimating, and Design Department.
- Grow future leaders within the Department.
- Be an active member of the Goodall Homes Purchasing Committee.
- Provide consistent and strong support to the Field Production Team.
- Develop and maintain accurate, written processes for the production support function of the company. Monitor the effectiveness of the processes, and revise and improve processes and procedures as needed.
- Prepares agenda and holds regular staff meetings for Production Support staff. Submits Weekly Department Update report to COO.
- Take ultimate responsibility for all functions within the Department which include:
- PURCHASING & ESTIMATING:
- Maintain plans, options and pricing components of estimating and purchasing databases, and sales front-end program. (Timberline Estimating, Builder MT, and Sales Simplicity)
- Oversees preparation of purchase orders and construction start packages.
- VPO approval and monitoring improvement process. Submit weekly VPO report to COO.
- Maintain a cost variance analysis and reduction program.
- Participate in correction of design problems to minimize budget variances, reduce costs and avoid repetitive mistakes.
- Process change orders on homes under construction within 48 hours.
- Maintain price files for each Trade Partner and in estimating database.
- Monitor material and labor cost changes and cost comparisons. Monitor commodity costs and submit report to Purchasing Committee. Submit monthly report on margins for all products in all communities in time for Purchasing Committee Meeting.
- Solicit bids from outside trades on a routine basis to confirm current competitive rates from Trade Partners.
- Negotiate prices, including terms and model discounts, with all Trade Partners and, in addition, negotiate rebates from Manufacturers.
- Review, qualify and hire Trade Partners.
- Oversees creation and maintenance of Subcontractor Agreement manuals.
- Ensure that all necessary documentation has been collected from Trade Partners prior to start of work and thereafter, update on an annual basis. (i.e.: subcontract, W-9, pricing, scopes of work, occupational license, etc.)
- Maintain accurate standard specifications and scopes of work for each Trade Partner.
- Work with Production in establishing and maintaining a trade Partner performance awards program.
- Ensures all approved options are implemented into the design center with proper pricing, displays, literature and training needed for Design Center sales.
- Continually look into innovative products and techniques, and monitor trends and changes in the home building industry.
- Facilitates the development of new products (house plans) based on specific needs of new land acquired by the company. Development of new products includes conceptual stages, initial rough estimates for feasibility, development of detailed plans, and accurate final estimates.
- Responsible for maintaining plans (blueprints) for all products. This includes working with Purchasing, Construction, and Customer Care to implement needed changes.
- Responsible for coordination of needed professional services, such as architects and CAD services.
- Order and coordinate surveyor and location plan services for starts.
- Work with City Officials to get designs approved for construction and ensure all designs comply with local and national codes.
- Solve design problems in the field.
- Train team members to understand complete workflow.
- Update and maintain all training materials and manuals.
- Continuously improve team skills by increasing competency and investigating new strategies and techniques.
- Weekly Staff Meeting
- Weekly Meeting with COO
- Weekly Production Meetings
- Bi-weekly Great Game of Business Meeting
- Monthly Purchasing Committee Meeting
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5 -10 years minimum in Construction, Estimating, Purchasing, Design with a production builder preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Proficient with personal computer, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word.
PREREQUISITES FOR SUCCESS:
- Construction knowledge.
- Ability to analyze job cost variance data and take corrective actions.
- Organizational aptitude to manage the pre-construction job package routing and processing.
- Computer aptitude and willingness to learn to process needed data and to communicate via letters, etc.
- Must have understanding and willingness to take direct personnel actions re: non-performing trade contractors from time to time.
- A willingness to handle accounts payable issues with vendors when necessary.
Compensation includes base salary plus bonus potential, plus Great Game of Business bonus program after eligibility.
REPORTS TO: COO
WORKS WITH: VP of Construction, VP of Sales, VP of Operations, VP of Customer Care & Quality, Trade Partners, Suppliers, Accounting Staff, and Office Support Staff.
SUPERVISES: Purchasing Managers, Starts Coordinators, VPO Manager, Design Manager, and Designers.